Music I'm Listening to These Days...


Monday, June 11, 2007

Working in my artroom at school today -




I am working on my classwork (for SulRoss) today- collaging bits and pieces of xeroxed pictures, Japanese newspapers and maps, crossword puzzles, a kimono linoleum I copied onto old pattern tissue, and the definitions of daughter, journal and journey(Bought a very old dictionary at the library, but only ended up with A-K half of it, so no 'traveler, seeker, pattern, etc!!)...and xeroxed all of it on old pattern tissue - I like the transparency of it. I've tried elmers, matt medium, and now glue sticks - any other suggestions for working with flimsy paper - it is layered on my finger tips, I had to quit, because it was a loosing battle between me and the paper - more on me than on my 'flowers'.

I forgot to bring Dan's camera over here today - I want to see if I can get truer color - the pictures I took the other day were awful...incorrect color and too light or too dark. This room has tons of fluourescent lighting, but not right for photos.
I also printed on an 8X10 transparency, an old picture of my parents and me - I don't know what to do with it yet, but it's cool. I also have a small picture of me at about 1 1/2 yrs. and I want to make a pin with it, but it needs light colors behind it because the face except for the features, is blank - no shading at all...just found a card my mom sent me that has the word daughter written in it and it fits on my shirt...hmmm...
I went to Barnes and Noble and bought a japanese-english dictionary, I made a stamp that says 'pattern' like sewing or design for something. I made 2 more stamps too, two designs in the kimono linoleum blown up to about 3X4 each. Yesterday,I sat around and designed a dozen more, I'll take the stuff home to cut them out tonite. I don't know what I want to do with them yet, but it was fun!

I need to go home, but I can't work there yet, studio isn't done. It's a true dilemma - my classroom which I have 24/7 access to 365 days a year, is 30'X60' with 16' ceilings and I can spread out everywhere all summer...and I love the openness and size, but I need to move my self to a much smaller place-10X20, my studio that's in my backyard so I don't have to put everything away every day when school starts - I'll need to get the absolute most efficient storage for all my stuff - and room for a computer and copier/printer. A TV set to watch all the how to videos I've purchased...but first I need a new floor!
I need help - wonder what my art kids are doing this week??? ^_^

2 comments:

Patty M said...

Love what your doing with the tissue paper and you are a pro with the carving of stamps. Any tips? Also on the glue problem. I keep a box of baby wipes at my work table just for wiping my hands and cleaning stamps. Just a suggestion.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the old pattern tissue paper. I use decopague for tissue paper and wet wipes to get it off fingers if that helps. I put the decopague on the paper I am applying to not the tissue itself. After it dries I go over it with more. I have found tissue paper doesn't do well when you apply it directly to the tissue paper itself, lol. I love your stamps too. Haven't done that since art class in high school.