Music I'm Listening to These Days...


Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Almost done with this one - only have 4 to go...

I'm almost finished with the mixed media piece I started( there's a picture of it with just the kimono done yesterday) It just needs some cleaning up now - it's oil pastels, oil paint sticks, chalk pastels and collage. I'll clean up the edges of every shape with a tiny brush and turpentine tomorrow, and then use matt medium on the collage, and I'm done.

That was yesterday, now I am almost done - I think...

When you look at things small, like on this page, you can see where something is catching your eye, and that's maybe not your intention. Good way to self critique! The reddish outline that's on the right is demanding WAY too much attention, so I'll soften it... the two 'balls' in the upper left are bugging me too, they need some work. I may mat it to the right and leave most of the far left one out, or lighten the color of one or both, I'll color a few pieces to put over the shapes and see what I like best - the 'creative' part is over, now it's the 'analytical' part - does this work, is this color it too close to the same color as that one, where's the center of interest, is it still where I wanted it, etc.... now I'm in my teacher mode(or self critic) or whatever you want to call it - This is where I feel like I have the most control over what happens in my head - I step back and become very objective - it's all about the elements and principles of design now - the creative me isn't hurt by this, she is shutting up now - she's in the corner, hair all askew, margarita in one hand....yeah!!


There's some cool textures in the pinkish areas and on the greenish greyish band on the kimono. If you click on it, you can look at the collage, I tried to crop it , but they came out blurry for some reason. I LOVE the collage, there is a picture of me in there, part of a letter from my mom that says 'with all my heart, Mom', and the word 'daughter' and other parts of the letter... it's been weird looking at her handwriting and knowing that that's it - no more, so familiar I could pick it out in 1000 handwritings, but what I have is all I have...


I used the new camera to take pictures and they are turned out better. I'm going to upload these to arttechniques also. It'll be the first time I've uploaded anything. I've uploaded my journal cover too - it's a pretty good picture of it. I like yellow ochres and browns and those colors tend to look all the same in a photo( the table is the same color too, I just realized that, next time I'll put white paper under things!
See you later, I have really enjoyed all your comments folks! THANK YOU!!!! Deb

No comments: